With summer now kicking in, our course continuing to shine and our new Golf Clubhouse facility opening this week, there is a lot to enjoy in Tulfarris at present, so I trust you are all in full swing.
Thanks to all who made it out to play in the Scratch Cups and other event over Long weekend, I hope you enjoyed the challenge all be it in tough windy conditions. We were able to open up the back 9th Blue tee and the newly renovated 16th Blue tee, which is a truly magnificent Par 3 back to it’s best. Although still new and settling in, the 16th tee box is expected to be available for our Blues Trophy on June 23rd so those of you who were able to play it will look forward to it again no doubt.
June 15th & 16th Shemus Dore June Monthly Medal:
Please note that due to the Jimmy Bruen Shield on Saturday, the prospect of qualifying for matchplay on Sunday and Cullen Trophy on Sunday, the Committee have decided to extend the Shemus Dore June Medal event to allow play on the Saturday, Sunday or Monday for all members. There will be arrangements in place to ensure the tees and pins are maintained as close as possible in the same positions over the three days.
R&A 9 hole Qualifier Event:
Congratulations to Mags Ryan and Alan Browne our two winners who will now go on to the regional finals to play for the chance to play at Royal Portrush the week before the British Open. Best of luck guys.
Well it’s only a month and a half until my Captain’s Prize on Sunday July 21st and Saturday July 27th, during which I look forward to seeing as many of you as possible competing. Full details will be issued closer to the event, however for now, just a reminder that to be eligible to win first prize in the Men’s event, a person must have been a member of Tulfarris Golf Club in at least 1 of the 3 preceding years and must have played at least three 18 hole qualifying competitions in the current calendar year.
Once again we will also hold a separate Juniors Captain’s Prize event on Wednesday July 24 and as usual the Lady Captain’s Prize will commence the week before the Gents event.
Full details can be found on our Web site Interclub page: https://www.tulfarrisgolfclub.com/interclub
As you will see and may have heard we are having some great success on a lot of fronts this year. One of the most pleasing aspects is however also the amount of new faces seen representing the club and the depth of backup to support our teams and managers with such a busy calendar.
· Fred Perry Trophy (GUI) – There is no stopping Owen Welsh and his panel who are determined on being the inaugural winners of this event. On Saturday afternoon (yesterday) they defeated Millicent in the 4th Round following there great win over Newlands in round. Well done lads and continued success.
· Cullen Trophy - Following strong wins over major clubs Powerscourt and Royal Curragh our mixed team take on Carlow at home on Sunday 16th at 2:00pm so any support there will be greatly appreciated.
· Our South Leinster Championship side were successful in round 1 with a great win over Royal Curragh conceding home advantage and manager Enda Daly is confident of a strong showing in this event where we are past winners. Our round 2 opposition will be Borris GC.
· Brennan Cup – in round 1 we defeated tournament hosts Arklow and again we look forward to this competition which is also dear to our heart, having gone all the way in 2009 and so close in the past two years.
· Junior Cup (GUI). Tomorrow sees Niall Robison team manager, take some of our finest golfers to Lisheen Springs for qualification. Having never qualified in this event, this year I believe have a real strong chance, so best of luck Niall and the team.
· Jimmy Bruen Shield (GUI) - Saturday 15th sees qualification at Citiwest and this year I am quietly confident breaking into the matchplay rounds where our strength can really show itself.
· All Ireland 4ball (GUI) After two strong wins again Dublin Mountain & Slade Valley, George Cheung’s side giving away Home advantage went down 3-2 to Edmonstown with the final match going down the 19th.
· Provincial Towns - After a fine win against Rathsallagh, we were unfortunate to come up against a very strong and inform Kilkenny side.
· Peirce Purcell Shield (GUI) - Hard luck to Dave Reid and his team coming up agonisingly 2 shots short of qualifying at possibly the hardest qualifying venue in Leinster namely Coollattin. After extremely challenging front 9 nines, all the pairs fought hard late into the evening doing themselves and the club proud on this tough assignment.
Lady Captain Miriam and the Ladies Challenge Cup team are also looking forward to their quarter final against the winners of Mt Wolseley v Mullingar. This follows a great win last week against Castlecomer in Athy. Best of luck Ladies!
Rescheduled Men’s May Monthly Medal: To enable as many as possible to add this event back into your calendar, it has been decided to hold the re-running of this event on August 24th/25th.
Club Matchplays. With Round 1 now complete, pressure is on for completion of 2nd Round match in both the Doubles and Singles events which have a deadline of June 10th. July and August are busy months for all so early completion of your next matches is appreciated. The Mixed Foursomes draw sheet was posted last week with Round 2 matches due by July 21st.
Thank you to Shay McGrath and Jerry Lambe for sponsorship of the matchplay competitions.
Summer Scrambles (organized by Ann and John Horan):
Last but certainly not least, our ever popular weekly Wednesday evening 9 hole 2 person team event kicked off this week. So come down and join us, if you don’t have a partner, Anne Horan will as usual do her best to get you out scrambling. Please join in after for a snack and post mortem of the evening’s fun.
Thank you to Derek Yeates and Profile events for sponsorship of the Summer Scrambles this year.
Rules & Pace of play tip (3 minute search rule): When commencing to search for your ball in an area of rough or a Penalty area be sure to check the time on your watch or GPS for the start of your allowed 3 minutes and do your best to recover any lost ground on the group in front as quickly as possible.
Hoping to see you around Tulfarris, all the best.