with the new season just over a week away, these are some important updates for you including the inter-club competitions and Captain's drive-in
The Captains Drive in is next Sunday the 4th of March. It would be great to have as many members there as possible to welcome our Captain Shemus Dore and our Lady Captain Mags Ryan in opening the 2018 season. The format will be a Florida Scramble. Check –in from 08.30.
If you are interested in playing please get your name down on the timesheet before noon on Saturday 3rd March. Hopefully we will see a good turnout to bring in the new golfing season.
The managers for the various interclub teams are now in place and Captain Shemus and Lady Captain Mags would like to thank those members who have taken on the various manager roles. Please see below the list of managers, dates and venues for this year’s interclub competitions. Both Captains and Committees are grateful to the selected panel of players and we are looking forward to much success in 2018.
1. Barton Cup – Team manager: Jerry Lambe assisted by John Field. Round 1 Home Draw versus Slade Valley. Deadline 15th April.
2. Irish Mixed Foursomes – Team manager: Vice Captain Peter Pedersen and Lady Captain Mags Ryan. Round 1 Home Draw versus Lisheen Springs. Deadline 8th April.
3. Pierce Purcell- Team manager: Dave Reid assisted by Enda Daly. Qualifier 12th May in Newbridge.
4. Provincial Towns- Team manager: Denis Mahon. Round 1 bye. Deadline for Round 2 is 13th May. Likely to be an Away Draw.
5. All Ireland Fourball- Team manager: Kevin McDonald (087 4158619) assisted by Owen Welsh (086 2546702). Round 1 Away Draw versus Baltinglass. Open to all those over 30 on 1st Jan 2018 and handicap of 15 or higher. Deadline 2nd April.
6. Junior Cup - Team manager: Niall Robinson. Qualifier Milltown. 9th June.
7. Jimmy Bruen – Team manager: Mark Reilly. Qualifier Royal Curragh. 23rd June.
8. South Leinster - Team manager: Chris Shelley assisted by Robbie Nagle. Draw not available as yet.
9. Brennan Cup - Team manager: Brendan Daly. Draw not available as yet.
10. Cullen Cup - TBD at later date. No entry form as yet.
The managers will be posting team sheets on the notice board shortly. If you are interested please put your name on the sheets asap so the team managers can put their panels together and move forward. Alternatively, please make contact with the team managers directly.
The link to all GUI/Leinster Branch tournament info is at https://www.golfnet.ie/tournaments
This has all details of tournament conditions and eligibility. Please note that the handicap eligibility has changed for a number of competitions.
Change in Competition Purse System
We would like to advise you of a small change in how we manage competition purse and entry.
Currently the BRS system has been configured such that a member must have a minimum balance of €10.00 in their account in order to enter a club competition on the BRS system.
The system has a 'cap' of €120.00. After €120.00 has been paid into the Members BRS Purse the Member receives "free" entry to further competitions.
From March 2018 these payments will be linked to the competition computer in the corridor. You will be unable to sign in & enter the competition unless you have a minimum balance of €10 in your account. We would advise that you top up in advance of weekend competitions with Norma to avoid any delay or inconvenience on the day. Tee time booking will remain the same on the BRS system.
Club Competition Sponsorship
The response to the invite to sponsor our club competitions has been amazing. In fact we have only 11 events remaining for sponsorship. If you would like to raise your hand for any of these competitions please contact Pat Curley (087 233 1987). The sponsorship raised will give us greater flexibility in supporting the various club activities during the year and leave us hopefully in a better place financially at year end.
To that end I would like to thank all of our 2018 sponsors to date.
Gavin Buckley (Prestige Print & Design)
Paul Finnerty (ATR Group)
Darren Ash & Eoin Curley (ISAGENIX)
Kieron Ryan (Irish Ventilation & Filtration Limited)
Ian Murphy (City Drain Services)
Ian Murphy (Portman Graphic)
Kevin McDonald (O’Neill Memorials)
Mick Curran (Comfort Air Conditioning Services Limited)
Darren Ash (ANZCO)
John Field (Scarton)
Derek Yeates (Profile Events)
Niall Robinson (Sigma Wireless)
Club Match Play
It’s time to register for this year’s Club Match Play events. All entries must be done by March 11th. The entry sheet is posted on the club notice board for each competition
The winter leagues has now reached its final weekend and there are a number members in contention for the overall titles:
Alan Rice 215
Martin Deaton 209
Denis Mahon 208
Paddy Carthy 204
Player A Player B Total
D.Lawlor T.McIntyre 198 204 402
A.Rice N.Fisher 215 179 394
P.Carthy M.O'Toole 204 174 378
Best of luck to all those in contention
Conditions of Play
The committee would advise all members to familiarize themselves with the club’s conditions of play document on the noticeboard and on the club website